Psyllium husk is a natural plant-based fibre supplement that is obtained from the Plantago Ovata plant. The Indian subcontinent is popularly known as Ishabgol and is used mainly as a laxative product. Other common names for psyllium husk are — Isapgul, Ghora Jeera, Ishakol, Aspsgol, etc. It is rich in fibre and sodium content and can help to deal with several health problems. It can cure problems like constipation, diabetes, and heart problems. Further, it also produces a feeling of fullness after consumption, which helps abstain from overeating, which reduces weight.
What is Psyllium Husk?
Psyllium husk is a herb extract that is retrieved from the seeds of the herb Plantago Ovata. The substance is extremely rich in fibres and is associated with laxative properties. It is also rich in sodium, iron, and carbohydrates. The herb is most commonly found in the Indian subcontinent and is grown widely here. Psyllium husk also goes by several names, one of which is Ispaghula. This substance is prebiotic in nature, which helps develop good bacteria, especially in the intestine. It is entirely safe for consumption and is highly soluble as well. It is also low in fat content; hence, beneficial in dietary control.
Benefits of Psyllium Husk
Psyllium husk has many known health benefits and can cure certain problems like constipation, diarrhoea, diabetes, cholesterol, heart problems, etc. It has a high carbohydrate content, which helps in providing energy. It is also rich in sodium and iron. The high fibre content in it is also very beneficial for the stomach and gastric health. Here are some of its health benefits:
Psyllium husk is a fibrous substance that is natural and beneficial for the body. Constipation, caused by the irregular and painful stool passage, can be cured by Psyllium husk. It tends to draw water and form a gel-like substance. This mass helps in the easy passage of stool. The Psyllium husk mass after the absorption of water becomes heavy, which causes the intestine to contract. This again helps in eliminating stool. Hence, it helps clear the stomach and also reduces rectal haemorrhoids and bleeding.
Psyllium husk is also emerging as a new dietary fibre that can help reduce cholesterol levels in the blood. Several scientific research types have shown that it can work as an excellent substance in controlling cholesterol levels, especially in regulating lipoproteins. Regular and continued consumption can reduce cholesterol levels in patients who suffer from high cholesterol.
Psyllium husk is known to absorb water and is highly soluble in nature. This helps it to absorb water and fluids in the system. This helps in firming stool. Hence, it can be extremely beneficial in curing moderate diarrhoea and stomach problems. Read here about an incredible ayurvedic product named ‘Swarna Bhasma’.
Psyllium husk can cure several heart problems and diseases. It has good iron content, which helps maintain iron levels in the blood and avoid anaemia caused by low iron and haemoglobin levels. Plus, it also helps reduce weight, which can be harmful to heart health. It also tends to lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes, responsible for many heart diseases and problems.
Psyllium husk effectively controls diabetes, primarily type II diabetes, by regulating blood sugar levels. It is beneficial in controlling triglyceride levels due to its high solubility and fibrous nature. In several studies worldwide, it has been found that a regular intake can reduce blood sugar levels. It is a natural product; hence, it does not have side effects common in diabetic medicines.
Psyllium husk has a unique ability to make people feel full after consuming it. Hence, naturally, it causes them to eat less and avoid overeating, leading to increased weight and obesity. It also helps clear the stomach and expel waste from the body quite regularly, helping manage waste. Including it as a part of one’s diet can significantly help reduce weight and solve problems of obesity.
- Colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Kidney Problems
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Blood Pressure
Side Effects of Psyllium Husk
While Psyllium husk is exceptionally beneficial for the body, it can sometimes have specific side effects and associated problems. In certain situations and conditions, it is advised not to intake it to cause health applications. Some of the exceptions and precautions if using Psyllium husk are:-
- Psyllium husk can lower triglyceride levels in the blood. Hence, regular intake of it and diabetic medicine, can cause a severe drop in blood sugar levels and cause health risks. It is advisable to consult a doctor before taking it regularly or in large quantities.
- Psyllium can attract and absorb a lot of water due to high solubility. It is rich in fibre hence can tend to sit very heavy in the stomach. Therefore, you need to drink tons of water while taking it to make sure you are maintaining hydration levels in the body. The deficiency of water can cause gas, acidity, and feeling bloated.
- People who have suffered from the narrowing of the oesophagus or food pipe should consult a doctor before eating Psyllium husk. Psyllium husk is the absence of enough water, which can cause choking by drying up the throat.
- Psyllium husk can cause certain side effects and health complications if taken simultaneously with prescription medicines. Hence, it is advisable to consult a doctor to time your Psyllium intake with other medicines. Usually, you need to have a gap of 2 hours before consuming psyllium husk after taking medicines.
- While some studies have asserted that Psyllium husk can be useful in curing Crohn’s disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it is still advisable to consult a doctor before taking a daily dose psyllium husk.
Is it Safe to Take Psyllium Husk Every day?
Psyllium husk is a natural product with no added artificial ingredients. Hence, It is not harmful to consume Psyllium husk daily. However, people with certain health conditions like diabetes, cholesterol, oesophagal narrowing, and people on daily prescription medications should consult a doctor before taking Psyllium husk daily.
How much time does it take for Psyllium Husk to Work?
The time for Psyllium husk to work is variable and depends on the condition you are trying to treat. In the case of diarrhoea, it can work within 1-2 days of intake. In some cases like diabetes, constipation, obesity, cholesterol, and heart diseases, a regular and continued intake will produce the desired result. Like every natural ingredient, you need to have some patience with Psyllium husk and give it time to work.
When Should you Take it, in the Morning or at Night?
It is recommended to take Psyllium husk in the Morning after meals. Psyllium husk tends to dry out the body by absorbing water; hence you need to keep drinking water to keep your body hydrated. Taking Psyllium husk at Night can also cause gas due to its heavy property. However, you can also take psyllium husk after meals at Night but make sure to drink enough water before going to bed. Click here to know what the best foods to eat with a stomach ulcer are?
Dosage of Psyllium Husk?
Psyllium husk supplements are available in two forms. The two forms with advisable doses are mentioned below:-
Psyllium husk whole
You can consume one tablespoon of Psyllium husk with water or juice and about 1-3 times a day.
Psyllium husk powder
You can consume one teaspoon of powder with milk, water, or juice and drink it about 1-3 times daily.
Various Brands of Psyllium Husk
Organic India Psyllium Whole Husk
Psyllium husk is a natural dietary fibre supplement that cures constipation and instantly promotes bowel movements. It also helps heal peptic ulcers and helps lower blood cholesterol/lipid levels, blood glucose level, body fats, and body weight. It heals and prevents Giardiasis and Amoebiasis. Organic India’s Psyllium husk is made with 100% organic isabgol.
- Promotes Healthy Elimination and Regularity
- Contains both Soluble and Insoluble Fiber
- Supports the Entire Gastrointestinal System
Package Content: 175 gms
Price: Rs. 210 days
Dabur is a famous brand that makes herbal products. Psyllium husk is considered an excellent laxative to help clear the stomach. It can help a lot with problems like constitutional and even diarrhoea. It can be taken after meals to promote bowel movement.
- Used as an amoebicide, intestinal antiseptic, antidysenteric. It also has astringent properties.
- It can help irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diarrhoea, amoebic dysentery, and giardiasis.
Package Content: 200gms
Price: Rs. 180
Psyllium Husk is a good source of soluble fibre. You can use it as a dietary supplement. It is usually available in the form of husk, granules, capsules, or powder. You can use it in baking cookies and cakes. EXOTICA Psyllium Husk powder is naturally made from the seeds of the Plantago. It is free from harmful chemicals, such as fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, preservatives, and GMO.
- When mixed with liquids, this powder forms gel consistency, helping with food passage to eliminate waste.
- Exotica Psyllium Husk Powder assists with the elimination of waste and help to maintain colon health and digestion.
Package Content: 400gms
Price: Rs. 500
Psyllium is a fibrous supplement made from the husks of the Plantago ovata plant seeds. It also goes by the name ispaghula. Psyllium is a prebiotic, a substance needed for the healthy growth of probiotics in the gut. You can add it to various goods for baking as well and can be an excellent binding agent.
- It’s rich in fibre and keeps the gut clean and healthy.
- Psyllium Husk Powder can make Bread, Idlis, Chapatis, Parathas, or even cookies/cakes for added fibre. You can use it as a binding agent in flour mixes, especially Gluten-free flour mixes.
Package Content: 600gms
Price: Rs. 700
Baidyanath lsabgol is a natural herbal product obtained from Plantago Ovata seeds through sieving, milling, and winnowing. Isabgol is used for flushing toxins from the stomach and maintaining gut health. It can cure constipation and help deal with irritable bowel syndromes. It can also help in throwing out excess urea from the body to keep it toxin-free. Baidyanath uses premium lsabgol seeds to ensure that you get the best quality psyllium husk.
- Baidyanath Isabgol helps relieve constipation. It helps flush toxins from the body, which also aids weight loss.
- With all the goodness of nature, Baidyanath Isabgol is a GMP certified product that is safe for consumption and is effective for all ages.
Package Content: 200gms
Price: Rs. 210
How can you Buy it Online?
You can buy pure organic Psyllium husk online from online shopping sites like Flipkart and Amazon. You will find several brands selling Psyllium husk on these sites. And, you can buy any brand and quantity of Psyllium husk as per your requirements.
Psyllium husk can be extremely beneficial for the body. It is an entirely plant-based product that is good for the body. It is an excellent fibre supplement and can be a great product to help reduce weight. Moreover, it is ideal for diabetic patients and people who suffer from gastric problems. It is readily available in the market, and anyone can consume it. However, you need to take certain precautions before consuming it and consult a doctor for precise dosage.